Tuesday, June 1

More Travel. Aka Paula tries to spend 21 hours in a marsh in a 9 day period.

Backlog from last week:

[Well, these next few days are going to be spent butt planted precariously on some kind of seat speeding through the country at speeds so unspeakable I must not speak them.  Also praying no one who's gone more than, say, 5 days without bathing squishes in the seat next to me for the next couple hours.


But, hey, exciting things going down!

Friday I headed to Tbilisi to prep for the presentations I'll be doing later this week.  Friday evening I spent in Patara with the old host fam.  Much debate of how easy it is to get to America and study and get into college and money was observed.  Nothing like a good helping of dream-killing and at least four "Why have you forgotten us?"es to make you glad that you'd been texted, "when will you visit us?"

Needless to say, the next day supra at Katelyn's Patara host fam (the year-anniversary of the dude who's 40-days-after-death celebration was our cluster's FIRST EVER supra.) pushed me a little over the edge, especially when being force-introduced to some dude's family and forcefed strawberries, 1 to 2 sugar to strawberry ratio.

But meeting the Trainees was cool.]

The present:
Yep.  Lots of traveling happened.  Lots of sessions ignored.  Lots of s'mores eaten (HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATELYN!) (ALSO LANG.).

Borjomi was not an awful place to be, either; a sprawling metropolis with a park, bursting with fir trees, megruli khatchapuri, and a mighty river.  (Soo... we had Sagarejo. Hm.)

I'll have some visitors from Thursday to Sunday.  Two trainees will be visiting Newvillage, one whose place I stayed at last week while mentoring, another who I've briefly talked to and is pretty much hot stuff.  And considering I watched Golden Girls with the first and had a text conversation that included the phrase "ain't that the truth, sista", I think we'll get along swellingly.

OH!  I ran 5K in the Race for the Cure on Saturday.  A free T-shirt was received and 3rd place in girls was achieved (I think).  Win!!  Next on the running goal horizon: Add 23 miles to those run on Saturday.  Marathon time.  But not really.  I like this little distance.  After that run was one of the few times I've felt truly good this month. Watching two Southern friends argue about barbecue in front of an Italian was another.

I allowed myself to be robbed at the Nike store because I left my 40 lari New Balance bazari shoes at home. Along with my wallet.  I've been on Katelyn's dime since last Tuesday.  Thanks, shuhgah momma!  At least my new shoes are pretty sweet.  They've got neon green.  Matching the ubiquitous fleece I have.  Also many other green things in my possession.

The election was Sunday.  My host mom has been working her tail off for this thing, going door to door and making sure 5th street represents.  Also, true to her character, she brought a pot of flowers to decorate the election site, our school.

I missed Bolo Zari on Thursday/the weekend.  But I've heard ours wasn't that big of a deal, and my friend/former 12th grade student invited me to the banquet that will take place sometime this week.

In other news, it's June today, which marks the anniversary of the month in which I was last in my home country.  As of sixteen days later, it'll be a year.  Crazy, huh?  Also it's been over a year since I graduated.  Hm.

2 comments:

  1. GREEN nikes! me like! u must send me a picture! Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bummer you got robbed! Karma will come back and haunt them!

    ReplyDelete